An extended lung function test will measure how much air you can take into your lungs and how fast you can blow air out of your lungs. We will also test your lungs’ ability to transfer oxygen to your blood.
It is important that you read the section on preparation.
Preparing for the test
- You should avoid all smoking, including e-cigarettes, for six hours before the test.
- You are not allowed to drink alcohol for four hours before the test.
- Do not take any long-acting lung medicine (retard medication) 24 hours prior to the test or short-acting bronchodilators (Bricanyl, Ventoline, Buventol, Airomir, etc.) six hours before the test.
- You should avoid major physical exertion before the test.
About the test
- Rest for 15 minutes before the test begins.
- During the test you will be seated in a box with glass windows and asked to breath into a mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is connected to a measuring apparatus.
- You will be asked to wear a nasal clip to ensure that you only breath through your mouth.
- You will then complete some breathing exercises.
- Based on the results, we will assess whether you need to take lung medicine. You will be asked to repeat the exercises again 15 minutes later.
- You will be assisted by a medical laboratory technologist during the test, which will last approximately 45 minutes. In some cases, however, the test may last up to 1½ hours.
You will receive the results of the test from the department or outpatient department that referred you.
Same day cancellation
Call (+45) 38 62 85 64 on weekdays between 08:00 - 15:00.
If the time or date of the test are inconvenient, or if you have any questions regarding the test, please call:
- Lungemedicinsk ambulatorie (LAM) (outpatient unit of the department of respiratory medicine) (+45) 38 62 82 33.
- Fællesambulatoriet (FA/MDAG) (outpatient department) (+45) 38 62 82 55.
- Cardiologisk ambulatorie (CAM) (outpatient unit of the department of cardiology) (+45) 38 62 82 77.
The test will be carried out at The Outpatient Blood Test Department (blodprøvetagningsambulatoriet) at Amager Hospital. You can enter via entrance 10 on Backersvej.