About the PEP mask
PEP is an abbreviation for Positive Expiratory Pressure. The purpose of the PEP mask is to loosen mucus in hte lungs and improve your breathing.
Use the PEP mask________ times a day.
If possible, sit with a straight back and place your feet on the ground. You may rest your elbows on a table if one is available.
What to do
Place the mask over your nose and mouth, making sure to keep a good seal between the mask and your face. Breathe into the mask with slightly active expiration.
- Exhale into the PEP mask for 10-20 breaths.
- Remove the mask and huff or cough for 3-4 times. To huff - breathe out forcefully but slowly through an open mouth to move mucus through the airways.
- Repeat 3 times. Whenthe mucus is loosened, it can be coughed up.
Remember, it is important to sit in an upright position each day and to be as physically active as possible during the day. This provides a better working condition for your lungs.
Cleaning your PEP mask
- Clean once a week
- Separate the divice into 3 parts
- Wash in warm, soapy water
- Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
You can use this schedule to write down when you have the PEP mask. First column is Date, top row is Time.