About PEP therapy
PEP is an abreviation for Positive Expiratory Pressure. The purpose of the PEP mouthpiece is to loosen mucus in the lungs and improve your breathing.
Use the PEP device_________ times a day.
If possible, sit with a straight back and place your feet on the ground. You may rest your elbows on a table if one is available.
What to do
Place the mouthpiece in your mouth, keeping a good seal with your lips. Breathe through the device with slightly active expiration. Avoid emptying your lungs completely.
- Exhale through the PEP device for 10-20 breaths.
- Remove the mouthpeice and huff or cough for 3-4 times. To huff - breathe out forcefully, but slowly through an open mouth to move mucus through the airways.
- Repeat 3 times. When the mucus is loosened, it can be coughed up.
Remember, it is important to sit in an upright position each day and to be as physically active as possible during the day. This provides a better working condition for your lungs.
Cleaning your PEP device
- Clean once a week
- Separate the device into 3 parts
- Wash in warm, soapy water
- Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
You can use this schedule to write down when you have used the PEP device. First column is date. Top row is the time.